What is ISO 45001?
It is the new Occupational Health & Safety Management System Standard coming up from ISO. It is based on OHSAS 18001 – the internationally recognized and adopted British Standard for Occupational Health & Safety.ISO 45001 is an International Standard that specifies requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, with guidance for its use, to enable an organisation to proactively improve its OH&S performance in preventing injury and ill-health.
While ISO 45001 draws on OHSAS 18001 – the former benchmark for OH&S – it is a new and distinct standard, not a revision or update, and is due to be phased in gradually over the next three years. Organizations will therefore need to revise their current thinking and work practices in order to maintain organizational compliance.
When the new standard will be published?
The new standard is expected to release in October 2016. The first working draft was already created.
WHAT ARE THE MAJOR DIFFERENCES BETWEEN OHSAS 18001 AND ISO 45001?
There are many differences, but the main change is that ISO 45001 concentrates on the interaction between an organization and its business environment while OHSAS 18001 was focused on managing OH&S hazards and other internal issues. But the standards also diverge in many other ways:
- ISO 45001 is process-based – OHSAS 18001 is procedure-based
- ISO 45001 is dynamic in all clauses – OHSAS 18001 is not
- ISO 45001 considers both risk and opportunities – OHSAS 18001 deals exclusively with risk
- ISO 45001 includes the views of interested parties – OHSAS 18001 does not
These points represent a significant shift in the way health and safety management is perceived. OH&S is no longer treated as a “stand alone”, but must be viewed within the perspective of running a sound and sustainable organization. That being said, although the two standards differ in their approach, a management system established in accordance with OHSAS 18001 will be a solid platform for migrating to ISO 45001.
What will be benefits of ISO 45001?
Though British Standard OHSAS 18001 was existing and was adopted by many countries, there was a need of an International Standard on occupational health and safety. Alarming global statistics of work related accidents and ever increasing need for organizations to be responsible and ethical about safety of employees is testimony. New standard will have following benefits:
- Establishing systematic processes which consider its “context” and which take into account its risks and opportunities, and its legal and other requirements
- It will provide framework to organizations that identifies and controls health and safety risks, reduce potential accidents, aids legal compliance and improves overall occupational health and safety performance.
- Evaluating its OH&S performance and seeking to improve it, through taking appropriate actions.
- It will benefit society. With internationally recognized occupational health and safety systems in place, the number of incidents and accidents will decrease, with less disruption to operational processes.
- It can be integrated with other management systems such as QMS ISO 9001 and EMS ISO 14001
- Organizations can set measures for service providers
How can Ascent Lanka help you for ISO 45001 Certification award?
- Ascent Lanka helps you set realistic, appreciable, demonstrable and achievable goals.
- Ascent Lanka prepares statistical and analytical reports for you. Thus, reports will no longer be a problem for you.
- Being an expert in this field Ascent Lanka trains your employees according to each applicable rule and regulation required by ISO 45001 and the local regulatory authorities.
- Based on extremely high level of experience with industries of various natures and scales, Ascent Lanka provides you with an accurate plan of management and functioning based on the expertise knowledge we have in this field. This offers least possibilities of failure.
- Our team is committed to work and predominantly manages the activities to ascertain that your organization also gives its 100% commitment to the process of achieving conformity & compliance.
- Ascent Lanka instructs organizations about inadequate resources and proposes solution for deciphering it. Ascent Lanka believes in optimum utilization of available resources.
- Ascent Lanka make available essential training, education and assurance to employees thus making ISO 45001 a consistent habit for them which exterminates fear and dopes assurance.
- Hiring Ascent Lanka can guide you with proper budget knowledge without you paying additional expenses.
- Ascent Lanka works 24X7, to cater the needs of its customers all over the world. This gives you abundant opportunity to demand our amenities even in the odd hours and day off.
- Ascent Lanka has a general practice of complete analysis before an offer is given. It is tremendously improbable that the total overhead goes beyond the budgeted figures, unless there are special requirements from the client’s end. “Not a single coinage extra”, is a general motto that each Ascent Lanka employee abides by.
With Ascent Lanka, ISO certification is no longer a painful process. Experience a height of success witnessed never before. Contact us or request a quote.